Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez fight on Sept. 19

Friday, July 3, 2009
Undefeated Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight against Numero Uno’s Juan Manuel Marquez, postponed from July 18 to September 19. The postponement happens when Mayweather suffered a rib injury during his training. The 12-round bout, marking the return of Mayweather after a long vacation that stretch to 21 months now, The Mayweather vs. Marquez rescheduled fight will be staged at the MGM. Mayweather are back in action once again after doctors cleared Mayweather to fight on the later date. On his return, fight fans hope will be a stepping stone to an eventual showdown with Filipino star Manny Pacquiao who is currently as the world pound-for-pound king. The former pound-for-pound king issued a statement that said "I am relieved to be cleared to fight," Mayweather said. "Trust me, Sept. 19 is a great weekend for boxing, and all of my fans -- of which there are many Mexicans too -- can certainly hold on to their hats and sombreros when I get back in to the ring." Marquez, a five-time world champion in three weight classes, figures to throw his name into the pound-for-pound debate. He's already considered "Numero Uno" in his country Mexico and vows to show Mayweather why he's so highly regarded as Numero Uno. "I am glad Mayweather has been cleared to fight and we can get down to business,'' Marquez said.”My win will be for all the people and entire country of Mexico. I am sure of victory." Mayweather made the announcement of his comeback on the same morning of the May 2 fight between Pacquiao vs. Hatton. Since then, some within the sport have criticized Mayweather for choosing Marquez rather than going directly against the fighter ranked the No. 1 pound-for-pound champ Manny Pacquiao. "I didn't want to fight a has-been when I came back. I wanted to fight one of the best in the sport, and that's what Marquez is." Said by Floyd Mayweather "Mayweather could have fought Manny Pacquiao. He just had to wait one day,'' said Freddie Roach. "I think he's scared of Pacquiao because he chose Marquez. But we're not going to wait around. I like to keep Manny busy. A busy fighter is a good fighter. I'd like to get a fight in November or December and we're not going to wait around for anybody. If (Miguel) Cotto wants to come down a few pounds, we can make it happen. If Shane Mosley wants to come down a few pounds, we can make that happen." Ticket sales reportedly had been slow for the pay-per-view event, but the Mayweather vs. Marquez fight should get a significant boost because of the new date. Boxing fans are so eagerly want to watch this Mayweather vs. Marquez match, but still we have to wait until September 19.

0 comments:

 
Buy Affordable Tickets | Pinoy Sports Online News | Movie And TV Series Portal | My Movie Reviews | BlogTonic | My Pinoy Sports News | Pinoy Sports PBworks | Balitang Sports News